Sunday, April 10, 2011

Yes this is very complicated but it helps describe what is going to be done by showing you a picture. My synthetic shunt which will vary between 8mm-10mm in size depending on how much pressure needs to be alleviated. It will be placed between my splenic vein and kidney vein. I have 2 large clots that will always remain, one in my right portal vein (liver) and one in my superior messenteric vein (which feeds your intestines). These will not be removed b/c they have been in there so long they are now like rocks and have hardened. We are hoping to relieve the pressure behind my liver so that those "varicose veins" will no longer be created and I will not bleed again. He will also cut my coronary vein which is just behind my liver, this is where all that pressure goes up and creates those veins in my esophagus and stomach, therefor hopefully they will NEVER return. I have MANY new veins inside my body that have been created as the bodies way of defense to keep me alive, to get around the clots that have formed....These new veins are great b/c they kept me alive, but they can't handle all the pressure and eventually they bleed. This is going to be an OPEN vascular reconstruction surgery 5+ hours in length. He doesn't know if it going to be possible for sure until he "gets in there". I am afraid that he will cut me open and find out that it is worse in there than we thought and not be able to do it. This is what happened to me in 09 at U of M when I was a patient awaiting my shunt in my liver...It never happened and I am thankful to the Lord for that, but when you go in, thinking that this is going to be it, this is going to be the "fix", it is devastating to me emotionally b/c the struggle continues..... The Lord is my great physician and I pray that this time, it is it. This is the answer, this is the "fix" we are hoping it will be.

No comments: