Thursday, April 30, 2009

Portal Vein Thrombosis (blood clot)

This blood clot that they found had been in my body a long time. How long? We don't know. We know its been there a long time b/c my body has since then developed a whole new venous system around it and throughout my liver and esophagus to take care of myself. (isn't the body amazing!!!!!!!!!) The body made all new vessels around this blood clot to get the blood it needed. Most clots are caused by 1.Liver disease or failure (I had a biopsy while in the hospital of my liver and it turned out fine (thank goodness) 2. Cancer (no cancer has been found yet) 3. Blood clotting disorder 4. Trauma= Pregnancy

After being release in the hospital I have undergone Upper Endoscopy that found my "new" veins in my esophagus to be sooooo big, they are like vericose veins and my Dr. told me that I have a 50% greater chance of hemmorhaging within one year. I must remain close to the hospital in case I start to bleed. We did a procedure that next Monday to wrap rubber bands around my veins to try to prevent them from bursting, and I will have it done again in 2 weeks.

I also have to have surgery, what kind, we don't know. I am going to U of M tomorrow to meet with a liver transplant/hepatobiliary reconstruction physician for advice. I must have something done soon b/c I could die. If these veins in my throat decide to start bleeding, I am now on blood thinners, so it could be the last time b/c they might not get them to stop.

Hope this explains my life for the past 14 months. I knew something was not right, but I couldn't get anyone to listen. Could this have been prevented? Why didn't that hematologist do something? Now I have to pay the consequences and am sitting wondering if I will see a new tomorrow.......The prayer I say at night with my daughter has taken on a WHOLE new meaning "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep, if I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my sould to take." AMEN!

No comments: